Campaign aims to promote healthy eating and exercise in UAE
‘Support and information key to cutting rates of obesity and diabetes,’ says General Manager
February 3, 2019, Ras Al Khaimah (UAE) - Julphar, one of the largest pharmaceutical manufacturers in the Middle East and Africa, has launched a new campaign to promote healthy eating and exercise in the UAE.
The “Julphar Healthy Living” campaign is designed to inspire people to improve their overall wellbeing and will include a series of nationwide activities and competitions. The pharmaceutical major is kicking off its campaign by supporting the upcoming RAK Half Marathon on February 8.
Julphar is also sponsoring the Ras Al Khaimah stage of the UAE Tour, the region’s biggest cycling challenge, which begins on February 24, and will be playing an active role in other sporting activities throughout the year. In addition, Julphar will be adding active lifestyle tips and tricks to its recently revamped website and will be launching various social media competitions to further engage consumers and encourage them to stay fit and choose healthier options.
“This campaign is designed to coincide with the yearly surge in health kicks and cater for the growing trend towards healthier living,” said Jerome Carle, General Manager of Julphar.
“As the UAE’s national pharmaceutical company, we are committed to helping people live longer, healthier and happier lives. We have a special relationship with families and their health and wellbeing is important to us.
“We are listening to our employees and our consumers and we believe it is our duty to take leadership action where we can make a difference. One of the things we can do is educate them on the importance of a healthy diet and exercise in a simple and effective way.
“We encourage the community to get behind this exciting campaign. We hope our activities will inspire confidence in families across the UAE.”
Studies show that 47.5 per cent of UAE residents are overweight, while 13 per cent are obese. The UAE is one of eight Middle Eastern countries that collectively have the highest global ratio of obesity among adults at 27 per cent with 40 per cent of the total population affected. Obesity is linked to an increased risk of cancer, heart and liver disease and diabetes.
“Support and information are key to cutting rates of obesity and diabetes,” added Carle.
“We must increase the opportunities we have to make healthy choices around the exercise we take and the food we eat. It is vital that employers play more of a role in helping employees be healthy.”
Julphar has already implemented a number of healthy eating initiatives at its main site in Ras Al Khaimah such as the introduction of more healthy options at on-site canteens as well as company sponsorship for any staff members taking part in local sporting and fitness events.
This year, the company plans to hold staff stepathalon, weight loss competitions and smoking cessation programmes among various other initiatives.