The Body Shop just launched a limited edition make-up and fragrance collection, created in collaboration with Leona Lewis and available in store in UAE
Please feel free to use the content of the following exclusive interview with Leona Lewis, The Body Shop Brand Activist
- Why are you collaborating with The Body Shop?I'm passionate about beauty and I'm all about animal rights and Community Fair Trade. As a result, I'm really conscious of where the products that I use come from. The Body Shop sells cruelty-free, ethically-sourced products containing amazing Community Fair Trade ingredients. Everything it creates has real soul – they call it “Beauty With Heart” – and I love being a part of that. The collaboration is a natural fit!
- How has The Body Shop inspired you to think differently about beauty?For me, The Body Shop has reinforced the true meaning of beauty. At the soul of it is love, and from that love comes beautiful products. The Body Shop brings about so much positive change that I can't help but feel inspired.
- What are your top three favourite The Body Shop products and why? 1. I like scents that are natural and fresh so right now it's White Musk Libertine, which features in my Cruelty-Free Collection
2. Brow and Lash Gel - For a natural lash look and neat brows, this is a must-have
3. Strawberry Bath Gel- the scent is gorgeous, especially after a hard day on tour
- Is a beauty brand that is vegetarian important to you when choosing your beauty products?When I choose a beauty product, I always make sure it is 100% vegetarian and 100% cruelty free. I wouldn't feel beautiful using anything else.
- What does Beauty With Heart mean to you?To me, Beauty With Heart means that you can be sure that the beauty product you're using has not hurt any person or animal in the process of being made. The power to choose Beauty With Heart is in every consumer's hands; I don't believe people would choose anything else if they knew they had a choice.
- Tell me a little more about the new Limited Edition Collection by Leona Lewis?
All The Body Shop® products are cruelty-free, and the Limited Edition Collection by Leona Lewis was created to raise awareness of cruelty-free beauty. It features trend-led make-up and a playful musk fragrance, all presented in super-stylish packaging with a pretty, floral deer motif. I chose two wearable colour palettes that would suit all skin tones from fair to dark; a flirty, feminine pink that is going to be a key trend this season, and a sun-kissed bronze which is perfect to help give skin a glow this spring.
- What was the inspiration behind the Limited Edition Collection by Leona Lewis? The Limited Edition Collection by Leona Lewis is a playful, fashion- forward collection that's perfect for spring, bursting with free spirit and wearable shades for every skin tone.
- How involved were you in the making of the Limited Edition Collection by Leona Lewis? I worked with The Body Shop team to develop the collection and the pattern for the cruelty-free deer logo which is featured on the packaging, which I love!
- What was the inspiration for the deer logo featured on the packaging? Traditionally, musk fragrances were obtained from deer. The Body Shop was one of the first beauty retailers to use man-made musk in their classic White Musk fragrance. The logo celebrates the freedom of the deer and the cruelty free ethos of The Body Shop.
- Can you tell me more about each product in the collection?Shimmer Palettes – I am a huge fan of The Body Shop® Shimmer Palettes so I couldn't resist adding them to my own collection featuring the cruelty-free deer design! Super versatile, Shimmer Palettes complement all skin tones and are great for highlighting and contouring. I chose two shades; a pretty Blush to give a lovely flush of rosy colour and Bronze for a sun-kissed glow.
Blusher Brush – This super-soft brush is tailor made for the Shimmer Palette in my collection and is brilliant for sculpting, blending and dusting.
Lip Gloss – Shiny lips continue to be a big trend especially for spring, so Lip Gloss was definitely a must-have product in the collection! I chose four fresh, sheer shades with shimmer-free finishes, which give a gorgeous glaze. These glosses are amazing and have a yummy minty flavour too!
White Musk Libertine - I wanted to incorporate a cruelty-free musk fragrance into my collection to celebrate The Body Shop® White Musk®, one of the first fragrances to use man-made musk. A playful and sensual scent, White Musk Libertine definitely stands out from the crowd. It's an intoxicating blend of musk, Turkish delight, baby orchid and Chantilly cream.
- What is your favourite product in the Cruelty-Free collection?The whole collection is amazing and I adore them all. I'd say the White Musk Libertine is such a gorgeous fragrance and has a great 'cruelty- free' message around it, so really stands out for me. Cruelty-free musk is a signature scent of The Body Shop and a must have for all us ladies!
- The Body Shop supports Cruelty Free International and their campaign to end animal testing in cosmetics, can you tell us more about this?The Body Shop has always been against animal testing, but unfortunately some cosmetic companies aren't and still use animals to test their products on or the ingredients they use to make them. The Body Shop has joined forces with Cruelty Free International in their bid to push for a global ban on the testing of animals for cosmetics. Customers and supporters can either go into store and sign the pledge or visit www.thebodyshop.com
- How would you describe your beauty/ signature look?I'm always chopping and changing and love trying different things. I'd say simplicity is key though.
- How does your look differ when you go on stage/red carpet?I love a beautiful gown on stage, and luckily I've been fortunate to wear some amazing dresses. Day to day I'm more relaxed, although I do enjoy the odd night curled up on the sofa watching Eastenders in a Cavalli gown!
- What's your top beauty secret(s)?Drink lots of water and juice. For me, having glowing, healthy skin is beautiful.
- What's the best beauty advice you've ever been given?Smother on the oil! Being mixed race I've grown up using lots of lotions like cocoa butter and oils that are very hydrating. It's so good for your skin.
- What tips have you picked up from make-up artists?I've been lucky enough to work with some of the top make up artists in the world and along the way I've learnt so much! My most useful tips are make-up looks relating to photo shoots and stage. Make up changes so much in these lighting situations so you really have to cater to what the light reflects. You can look totally different in the dressing room to when you hit the stage because of the lighting.
- What's your latest beauty obsession?It has to be my new Shimmer Palettes in the Limited Edition Collection because they work for day and night looks. You can go from glowing and natural to a bronze goddess!
- Describe your daily beauty regime? Would you say your beauty routine is high or low maintenance, and why?I spend most time on my hair. It's usually wild and crazy and some days I need to tame it, where as other days I just let it be! I think I'm in the mid range of maintenance.
- Shower or bath?
Bath because you can have bubbles!!!
- Do you sing in the shower and, if so, what?Always and it's usually some kind of jingle from an advert.
- What skincare essential/ savoir can't you live without?
The Body Shop Beautifying Oils. I grew up living on oil. It's good for everything – skin, hair and even cooking! I find it best to use while showering.
- What are your tips for applying eye liner to achieve that perfect flick?Mark where you would like the flick to end, make sure it's even on both sides and then follow the line. My make-up artist taught me that!
- What are your favourite lip, cheek and eye shades?For lips, I like a pink/peach tone as I feel it compliments my skin tone. For cheeks, I love a nice pinky-blush and for eyes,I love subtle brown/gold tones.